2008-10-23

The Dukes Of The Stratosphear - Bike Ride To The Moon


Artist: The Dukes Of The Stratosphear

Song: Bike Ride To The Moon

Album: 25 O’Clock (1985)

25 O'Clock is a mini-album which was the first release of The Dukes of Stratosphear (a side project of the members of XTC), and was also the title song from that release. Joined by XTC member Dave Gregory's brother Ian on drums, the Dukes indulged in the stylistic tropes of 1960s psychedelia, particularly the British variety.

Released on April Fools Day, 1985, the mini-album was a tongue in cheek homage to the heyday of psychedelic rock. Several of the tracks were made to sound like individual bands (like the Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd sound of "Bike Ride to the Moon"). Others were simply a pastiche of the styles of the period as a whole. The songs were recorded on a 4-track machine using overdubs in order to replicate production techniques used in the mid-to-late 1960s and was also notable for its cover art (drawn by Partridge) which resembled the cover on the 1967 LP Disraeli Gears by Cream.

Bike Ride to the Moon is one of the most striking evidence of this rock’n’bike review and the song, is a real explosion of colors.

“Bike Ride to the Moon" is demented enough to have appeared on Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn.


video


Push me off to start the fun
On a bike ride to the moon
Lots of room for everyone
On a bike ride to the moon
And we'll bring back cheese for my Auntie Jane
And some magic moon dust that'll stop the rain
On my poor Uncle Alfred's head,

even though he stays in bed (silly Alfred)
Why not bring a pot of tea
On a bike ride to the moon
Angel cake for you and me
On a bike ride to the moon
And we'll pack a tent 'case it's cold at night
And I'll share your sleeping bag if I might
And might be a positive boon
To protect you from the man in the moon
(Who happens to be me, look out!)
Racing forward can't look back
On a bike ride to the moon
What did I omit to pack
On a bike ride to the moon?
With the stars all glinting in the shiny Chrome
Then I suddenly remembered what I left at home
Now I shan't be peddling any higher
'Cos a sharp sputnik has given me a cosmic flat tyre


No comments: