2009-06-05

Neneh Cherry - Red Paint


Artist: Neneh Cherry

Song: Red Paint

Album: Homebrew (1992)

 

"Red Paint" drifts even further into the New Age ozone, threatening to leave melody and sense behind, only to be held in check by blasts of electronic static and rough guitar snippets. Even when she's optimistically longing to "find my way home/Guided by the new light," as she does on the meditative fade-out of "Paint," there's a lone police siren wailing in the mix. That unyielding sense of realism grounds Cherry's genre-bending ambitions in the here and now.

Neneh Cherry doesn't get into the studio nearly often enough. Three years passed before the British singer/rapper came out with a second album. Thankfully, she more than lived up to the tremendous promise of Raw Like Sushi on the equally magnificent and risk-taking Homebrew. 

more

 

 (…) I think 1992's Homebrew is the best of her three cds. It has great songs like "Buddy X", "Peace in Mind", "Red Paint", "Move With Me", "Trout", "Ain't Gone Under Yet" and "Money Love." This is a great hip-hop/r&b cd that was generally overlooked by the public. A must have for any rock collector.

 

music

 

In a couple of years, this album may well be heralded as a stylistic breakthrough. In the meantime, Homebrew, Neneh Cherry's second record, holds a stash of subtly addictive pleasures. Anyone who appreciates both alternative rock's indomitable spirit and hip-hop's life-affirming rhythms is bound to get hooked on Homebrew's unique sweet-and-sour taste.

review

 

On a table lies the crust of what he
Had and just leaves behind
As I put bread down on the list of things
That I had to buy
By the store leaves your mountain bike
You on the floor still looking hard core
The colour is read under my show
And the friend is gone who put a hole
In you

Insensitivity took a hold of me
And I felt it colour me blue inside
And I left taking a part of you
Like red red paint on the sole
Of my shoe nothing to do with
Common sense or

Chorus:
Sensitivity. I'm feeling cold
Like concrete
Your dignity's reflecting
In the way I feel it

Open minded. the thoughts are clear
From feeling regardless. heart beats
With pain
You were oh so happy just the other day
Now heartbeats with pain took it all away

The cradle did rock for you too
Looking out from the inside
While life turns to blue
Watching all the glass faces
Leave their red red footprints
On our

Chorus

By the store lays your mountain bike
You on the floor no more hard core
The colour was red under my shoe
And the friend has gone
Who put a whole in you

Guided by the blue light that
Takes you away I'm on my way home

Guided by the blue light
That takes you away
I'm on my way home

Guided by the blue light
I'm on my way home...

No comments: