2008-11-30

Scissor Sisters - Bicycling With The Devil


Artist: Scissor Sisters

Song: Bicycling With The Devil

Album: unreleased

“Bicycling With The Devil”: an early track recorded by the band before their eponymous debut which were never official released.

So, it's 2001. Who wouldn't want to form an electro band and name themselves after a lesbian sex position? Well, if you happen to be go-go dancer, stripper and all-out attention seeker Jason Sellards and multi-instrumentalist Scott Hoffman you'll not only do that, but you'll immediately rename yourselves Jake Shears and Babydaddy. Add one Ana Lynch, wittily re-titled Ana Matronic, and you're all set, particularly since Ms Matronic hosted her own cabaret show at a Lower East Side New York club. It's not just who you know, it's where you work: The Slipper Room was the band's first gig. History doesn't seem to record how well Dead Lesbian et al went down, but tracks from the Dead Lesbian era are undeniably weird, and far more electronic than their current output. Take Bicycling With The Devil, an almost electroclash mish-mash with truly bizarre lyrics. "I see you dancing, damn you look good. I wish I could dance like you but I ain't got no legs.' is the more sensible part of the song, rapidly giving way to 'I see you defecating, damn you look good. I wish I could take a shit too, but I ain't got no anus.' Quite how riding the bicycle of the devil into hell helps with this isn't really made clear, alas.


I see you dancing, damn you look good!
I wish I could dance like you but I aint got no legs.

I see you having sex, damn you look good!
I wish I could have sex too, but I aint got no sexual organs.

I see you defficating, damn you look good!
I wish I could take a shit too, but I aint got no anus.

I rode the bicycle of the devil
Driving straight to hell
The bicycle of the devil will take you straight to hell.

I see you talking, damn you look good!
I wish I could speak to you but I aint got your love.

I see you flying, damn you look good!
I wish I could fly like you but I aint got the drugs.

I see you riding on a bicycle straight to hell
I wish I could ride with you because you and me and the devil make two.

I rode the bicycle of the devil
Driving straight to hell
The bicycle of the devil will take you straight to hell.

I see you dancing, damn you look good.
I wish I could dance like that, but I can't.. cos I have no legs.

I see you fucking, damn you look good.
I wish I could fuck like that, but I can't.. cos I have no penis.

I see you shitting, damn you look good.
I wish I could shit like that, but I can't..
cos I have no butthole.

No comments: